Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Las Alasitas

This past month there has been a fair in La Paz called Alasitas. Although there are many game and food stands, the main attraction is that you can buy miniature everythings! The idea is that if you buy a miniature house, for example, you are increasing the odds of you getting a house in the following year. Ideally you get the items you buy blessed, but that only really occurs on the first day... I went on Sunday, which was the last day, and it was intense! Sooooo many people there, it was unbelievable (see for yourself! ->)

Tying in with the tradition of the Alasitas, is a tradition whereby if you are single but searching for a significant other, you can always hope that someone will be kind enough to buy you a hen (if you are looking for a girl) or a rooster (if you are looking for a boy). And then there are times that you might receive such a gift even if you didn't really want to... Meet Bob, the rooster my aunt gave to me 10 days ago (she had no choice in a way, as I was the only single girl sitting at the dinner table that night!). I was told to put him in front of a mirror, so I did just for the photo - and then put him back on the shelf in my room, just in case leaving him in front of the mirror had an effect. Not that I believe in these things, but why take a risk? Hehe. Someone also mentioned that the color of the rooster/hen you receive has something to do with the characteristics of the significant other you will find, but I didn't get any specifics. If I find out more, I will let you know.

1 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! I'm there for Alasitas 2007!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home