Friday, March 17, 2006

Back in the Saddle

A few weeks back, I finally gave in and went down to the country club Los Sargentos. My brother wanted to visit and potentially sign up (which he did), and I was itching to see horses again... and what had to happen happened – after just a few minutes walking around the stables, I spoke to someone who seemed to know what was going on and arranged to come by the next day to talk to the instructor about the possibility of me riding at the club. The next day I met the instructor, who – what are the odds! – turned out to be French, and within 24h I had tried a horse and agreed to take him in half-pension! Hehe. He was also new, having arrived from the military school barely a week before I showed up. His name is Jet, he is decent-sized, darkish chestnut gelding who is a little bit on the lazy side but has a big heart and is just what I needed to get back in shape. We started jumping together, and although so far it seems that his limit is around 1m, I love it. It is so great to be back in the saddle, you have no idea. The jumping season is around the corner, and the cherry on the cake is that due to my flexible schedule, the instructor has asked me to help him work out horses on certain days when he in theory has to defy the time-space continuum and ride 9 horses in the morning! *Does a little dance*.

Everyone, meet Jet!

Me on Jet.

1 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I was excited to find your entry because I lived in La Paz from 1960 to 1962 and my parents rode with Los Sargentos. My Dad was stationed there with the Air Force. My Mom was one of only 2 women competing in the area at the time. I was about 10 years old and remember enjoying watching the jumping competitions.

Their facility was near Calacoto at the time. There was a painted wall in the riding ring, on which my parents had a picture of a flying, winged horse painted. Any chance it is still there?
If you are interested in chatting, my email address is jerickdutton@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home